Fullview if the animation isn’t showing. Does this help, anon? In hindsight I shoulda held offa completing this ask until I got a more complicated prompt from DoodleOrDie. Maybe I’ll do this again in the future.
1) I don’t start doodling in DoD until I have a mental image of what I’m going to draw. I try to think outside the box, but this time I knew the prompt referred to THIS fanvid, so it was pretty obvious what I had to do.
2) I usually fill in a bg colour - everyone uses plain white, so a colour bg helps set a mood or make your pic stand out, even if you don’t put in an actual background.
3) I usually block in the pose next. I keep it thinner than I intend the final pic to be; bare bones because I’m going to have to colour OVER it and I don’t want white sticking out from under my finished lines.
4) I add some background stuff - it’s trickier to doodle in a bg after your focal characters are already done, so I put in what I can now.
5) I start colouring over the blocked out silhouette, adding basic features and flat colours, but not adding too much detail yet.
6) I add shadows for depth - cloth folds are a good way of indicating posture and movement.
7)When I’m more or less satisfied with the main char, I zoom in (like this) for important detail like his facial features and record
cutiemark symbol, and for text. If I haven’t already started lagging yet, this pretty much will guarantee that I’ll start lagging now - Lots of little individual strokes on text and details seem to make it lag more. Zoom in is BLURRY, but worth it for the smaller, more finickity details. DoD is unforgiving, and my lines rarely appear exactly where my cursor indicates that they should - zooming in helps minimalise the fluff-upable zone and ensures I get it at least close to where I intended.
8) Next I step away and grab a cuppa tea. When I come back, I look to see what, if anything, is missing and if it’s worth adding any new stuff. Here, I discovered I’d forgotten the shadow behind his legs, and also his freckles. I made a few small detail changes.
9) Lastly, I hover over the ‘submit’ button fearfully, reluctant to post. I stall and go look at tumblr like a coward… and then I remind myself for the umpteenth time that it’s just DoD and I should stop worrying …and I SLAM THE SUBMIT BUTTON. AHHHHH!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!IdiditIdiditOhmygoodgravyhelp! Phew…
10) Then I wait expectantly for homestuck hate comments.
- 0mika0 likes this
- mecheye likes this
- cirsuwa reblogged this from insecureillustrator
- cirsuwa likes this
- reachfortheskaia likes this
- playgroundholocaust likes this
- actually-egbert likes this
- potatokind likes this
- gardeningharley likes this
- thefamilyfeud likes this
- green-tan likes this
- zombiemoshpit likes this
- believingbrook likes this
- decafshaman likes this
- shiplordjasper reblogged this from insecureillustrator
- shard1697 likes this
- vincisomething reblogged this from insecureillustrator
- detectivegiri likes this
- liifealert reblogged this from insecureillustrator
- joriontel likes this
- nessisaur likes this
- argentconflagration reblogged this from insecureillustrator
- omgawkwardturtle likes this
- homestuckaddict likes this
- mukefuk likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- dadamara likes this
- the-real-aibouftw likes this
- whatismynewwwurl likes this
- ccrobat likes this
- vriska-ler likes this
- rosetherobotninja likes this
- purpleshahra likes this
- shsl-dwespair likes this
- anti-pigeonholing likes this
- irato likes this
- actualbeluga likes this
- gum-drop-art likes this
- shiny-ninfias reblogged this from truejaku
- felinesamurai likes this
- comixqueen likes this
- vihkun reblogged this from truejaku
- truejaku reblogged this from artist-refs
- truejaku likes this
- spenchaaaaan likes this
- artist-refs reblogged this from insecureillustrator
- b34rhands likes this
- vriskserket likes this